Apply for a Passport in Person
You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport
- You are under age 16
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
Please note: If you are not in the United States, see Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States.
How to Apply
1. Fill Out Form DS-11
- The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
- Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
- You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the '52 page' box at the top of the DS-11.
2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists your parent(s)' full names
- Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar's signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.
3. Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence
Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re submitting.Photocopies must be:
- On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
- Black and white
If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.
4. Present ID
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.Please note:
- In-state, fully-valid driver's license
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
- Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
- If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
- If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements.
5. Bring a Photocopy of ID
Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.Requirements:
- Photocopy must be on white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper.
- Photocopy cannot be double-sided.
- Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).
6. Determine any Special Circumstances
If any of the below categories apply to you, you may have additional requirements for your passport application. Please see the relevant page for more information.
- Children under 16
- Children 16-17
- Previous passport was lost or stolen
- Owe child support
- In process of or completed gender transition
- Official, diplomatic, or other special issuance passport
7. Provide a Photo
8. Calculate Fees
Adult Applicants (Age 16 and older):
Product Form Application Fee Execution Fee Passport Book DS-11 $110 $25 Passport Card DS-11 $30 $25 Passport Book & Card DS-11 $140 $25
Child Applicants (Age 15 and younger):
Product Form Application Fee Execution Fee Passport Book DS-11 $80 $25 Passport Card DS-11 $15 $25 Passport Book & Card DS-11 $95 $25
Please note: The application fee and the excecution fee are paid separately.
For fees of other applications or services, please see Passport Fees.
9. Submit your Completed Application
Inside the United States:
Outside the United States:Please contact your U.S. Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents, since processes vary.
- You must submit your completed application, including citizenship evidence, photocopy of ID, photo, and fees, in person at a passport acceptance facility.
- You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency if you are traveling soon. Please see Get a Passport in a Hurry for more information.
Do I have to make an appointment to apply at an acceptance facility?
Some acceptance facilities require appointments and others do not. We recommend calling the acceptance facility ahead of time to verify their hours, acceptable forms of payment, and appointment requirements. Find your acceptance facility.
Can I mail in my application or apply online?
When applying using Form DS-11, you are not eligible to mail in your application. Additionally, the Department of State does not currently have the option to submit your passport application online.
What if I want both a passport book and a passport card?
You can apply for both a passport book and a passport card at the same time on Form DS-11, but you must pay both fees. Please see Passport Card for more information.
How long will it take to get my passport?
I'm behind in child support. Can I get a passport?
If you are behind in child support payments of $2,500 or more, you cannot get a U.S. passport. For more information, please see Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport.
How will my passport book and/or card be mailed back to me?
Newly-issued passport books are delivered using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for Priority Express return service at time of application.
All passport cards will be mailed using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be delivered using Priority Express.
Your citizenship evidence will be mailed back separately from your new passport.
It states on my U.S. birth certificate that is it illegal to make a copy. What should I do?
If you choose not to submit a photocopy, you may submit a second certified copy of your birth certificate.
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
Routine 4-6 Weeks
Expedited 2-3 Weeks
Watch this video on how to apply in-person for an adult U.S. passport!
Applying for your child’s U.S. passport? Watch this video!